You hear the world vulnerable, endangered and extinct animals and plants all the time, but what does each term means?
Pollution And Its Types – Short And Easy Info For Kids
WHAT IS MEANT BY VULNERABLE SPECIES?
Vulnerable species are those species which are at a risk of becoming endangered species if they are not protected.
This means that if members of these species keep dying and their numbers keep decreasing, then they will eventually become endangered species.
Examples of Vulnerable species:
- Giant Panda
- Giant Tortoise
- African Elephant
- Polar Bear
- Snow Leopard
WHAT IS MEANT BY ENDANGERED SPECIES?
Endangered species are those species which are at a risk of going extinct if they are not protected.
This means that is the members of these species keep dying and their numbers keep decreasing, they will eventually become extinct (vanish from earth).
Examples of Endangered Species
- Red Panda
- Green Turtle
- Mountain Gorilla
- Blue Whale
- Asian Elephant
WHAT IS MEANT BY EXTINCT SPECIES?
Extinct species are those species whose all members have died out and not a single member is known to be a love. Extinct species are those species which have vanished and no longer exist.
Examples of Extinct species
- Dodo bird
- Tasmanian tiger
- Sabre-tooth tiger
Also check out: 10 Critically Endangered Animals That Can Go Extinct By 2050
REASONS FOR SPECIES BECOMING VULNERABLE, ENDANGERED, OR EXTINCT
There are many reasons why species of animals, birds, insects, plants etc become vulnerable, endangered or extinct. Some of them are as following:
- Habitat destruction – due to mining activities, land clearing etc.
- Deforestation – for construction, timber or mining etc.
- Hunting and poaching – killing animals for their valuable parts like tusks, scales, leather or fur etc.
- Pollution/Degradation of the Environment – air, water and land pollution can cause animals to die.
- Use of chemicals, medicines, fertilisers or pesticides that are harmful to animals as they can poison them.
HOW CAN WE SAVE SPECIES FROM BECOMING VULNERABLE, ENDANGERED AND EXTINCT?
- Stricter laws against hunting and poaching and their enforcement
- Preventing deforestation and habitat destruction
- Banning harmful chemicals that harm a specific species.
- Using environmental friendly methods and materials.
- Protecting species by creating protected areas for them where people can’t hunt or harm them.
Also check out: 15 Ways Kids Can Help Save The Earth
There are thousands and thousands and thousands of species of plants, animals, birds, fish, insects and microscopic creatures on earth, but because of human activities many of those species are harmed in one way or the other and some even become vulnerable, endangered or even go extinct. We should do all that we can to save and protect these species.
Also check out:
Causes and Effects of Deforestation – Short Easy Kids Info
I hope you all liked this post! Please comment below if you have any suggestions, comments, or feedback! We at #envpk love hearing from our readers! Thanks!
Founder of Envpk.com. A passionate environmentalist and researcher by education and at heart. A proud tree-hugger.