Biodiversity Loss: It is defined as a significant reduction in biodiversity that is present all around the world. It also includes complete disappearance/loss of biodiversity leading to extinction. The biodiversity loss can be further elaborated as a reduction in the variety of living beings that colonize various ecosystems on the Earth, their genetic variations, etc.
Importance of Biodiversity: Biodiversity holds great importance for humans and the sustenance of all kinds of ecosystems on the Earth. It provides economic, ecological, and social benefits. Many people are dependent on wildlife, plants, fisheries, etc for their livelihoods. In many countries around the world tourism industry is linked with biodiversity.
CAUSES OF BIODIVERSITY LOSS
Causes of biodiversity loss include both natural and anthropogenic activities.
- Natural Activities: These include wildfire/bushfire, volcanic eruptions, floods, etc.
- Anthropogenic Activities: These include human-induced climate change, habitat loss, species introduction, land pollution, marine pollution, land clearing for mining and industrial activities, agriculture, global warming especially ocean acidification and coral bleaching, drainage of wetlands, and mangroves, etc.
Also check out: Measurement of Species Biodiversity – Methods and Techniques
EFFECTS OF BIODIVERSITY LOSS
The biodiversity loss results in ecological, economic, and social losses.
1. Economy Loss: Biodiversity loss shows its effects on the economy. Many people use a variety of biological life for their livelihoods.
2. Ecological Effects: Biodiversity loss disrupts the natural functioning ecosystem and makes it less productive.
3. Social Needs: Humans rely on biodiversity for their social needs. Biodiversity loss affects social life.
4. Food Insecurity: Biodiversity loss affects global food production and creates the problem of food insecurity.
5. Disease Outbreak: The decreasing number of species often results in diseases outbreak.
Also Check Out: 10 Reason of Why Butterflies are Dying and How We Can Save Them
SOLUTIONS TO BIODIVERSITY LOSS
Species of plants and animals that are vulnerable to extinctions require utmost attention. Solutions to biodiversity loss are listed below.
1. Biodiversity Conservation: This is the first and foremost important solution to prevent biodiversity loss. Conserving biodiversity that is at risk of extinction can be protected with adequate conservation strategies.
2. Controlling Threats to Biodiversity: The problems and threats faced by biodiversity must be monitored and controlled.
3. Prevent Introduction of Invasive Species: It should be taken care of that no invasive species find their place in native habitats.
4. Rely on Natural Products: Biodiversity is used for raw material. Humans should utilize natural products and use recycling techniques.
5. Use Eco-friendly Products: Plastic waste is responsible for biodiversity loss. It is recommended that humans should use eco-friendly products.
6. Habitat Restoration: Biodiversity loss can be prevented or reduced by restoring natural habitat.
For more info: Biodiversity Management Methods, Techniques And Importance
Every kind of life that lives on the Earth is vital for other living beings. Almost all living things are connected to support and maintain life cycles. Many species have become extinct due to human activities. Currently, both flora and fauna are vulnerable to environmental problems that must be taken into consideration in order to prevent further losses. Conserving biodiversity is extremely important for the functioning ecosystem of the Earth.
You might also like: Biodiversity Conservation is Ecosystem Restoration-Pictures
I hope you all liked this post! Please comment below if you have any suggestions, comments, or feedback! We at #envpk love hearing from our readers! Thanks!