Climate change is wrecking havoc everywhere around the world. Pakistan is among the top affected countries by climate change. Pakistan is an agrarian country where the developing economy is based on the agriculture sector. Climate change is adversely impacting agriculture production in Pakistan.
RICE CROP YIELD REDUCTION IN PAKISTAN
Rice crop yield in Pakistan holds extreme importance. It is the second-largest crop being produced in Pakistan that contributes to the agricultural economy. However, there is a significant reduction in crop yield in Pakistan due to climate change.
Published research has reported that rice yield in Pakistan has been declining and the rice-growing community is most vulnerable to face the challenges posed by climate change. In Pakistan, millions of people have their source of livelihood reliant on agriculture production.
CAUSES OF RICE CROP YIELD REDUCTION IN PAKISTAN
Climate change is causing problems in Pakistan. The main causes of crop yield reduction in Pakistan are listed below.
1. Rising Temperature: Fluctuation in weather conditions has negatively impacted crop production. Rising temperature is one of the causes of rice crop yield reduction in Pakistan.
2. Water Scarcity: The projected water scarcity issue in Pakistan is another reason why rice crop production is declining in the country.
3. Less Precipitation: The monsoon season in Pakistan has been affected by climate change and due to which the country is receiving less precipitation. For more info: Impacts Of Changing Monsoon Season Rains Pattern In Pakistan.
4. Floods: The increasing incidents of floods due to heavy rainfall triggered by climate change are destroying the rice crop yield in Pakistan.
You might also like: How To Prevent Hazardous Monsoon Season Flooding in Pakistan
5. Pest Breakout: Weather conditions are favoring pest breakouts due to climate change. Pest breakout is also among the main reasons for declining rice crop production.
EFFECTS OF RICE CROP YIELD REDUCTION IN PAKISTAN
The visible effects of rice crop yield reduction in Pakistan are mentioned below.
1. Economic Loss: The less rice crop yield would have negative impacts on the economy of the country. It is the second major crop in Pakistan.
2. Loss of Livelihoods: Many people would lose their source of livelihood. Farmers are frontier in experiencing the dent of climate change.
3. Food Insecurity: The reduction in rice crop yield would lead to food shortage and ultimately food insecurity in the country.
4. Droughts: Dry weather conditions due to climate change are responsible for less rice crop production that in return favor droughts.
5. Economic Burden: Less rice crop yield would increase the economic burden in Pakistan.
SOLUTION TO RICE CROP YIELD REDUCTION IN PAKISTAN
Sustainability is the proposed solution to the changing climate. Solutions to rice crop yield reduction are mentioned below.
1. Sustainable Agriculture Practices: Loss of any crop yield could only be tackled through sustainable agriculture practices.
2. Upgraded Irrigation System: Farmers should use upgraded irrigation systems in order to increase crop yield with less water.
3. Adaptive Crops: Farmers could use climate-adaptive crops that in return help reduce the negative effects of climate change.
4. Disaster Management: The government should focus on disaster management techniques in order to prevent floods that damage rice crops.
5. Climate Change Adaptation: One of the key solutions is climate change adaptation. In this way, resources can be managed that are required for crop generation. Check out: Climate Change Adaptation Methods and Mitigation Strategies
Pakistan needs sustainable strategies and climate-resistant crops that could help the country in tackling the impacts of climate change. This phenomenon is happening everywhere and might keep changing its violent forms. Farmers should be made aware of climate change and sustainable agriculture practices through education. Government has the liability to raise awareness and collaborate with farmers so that impacts of climate change can be tackled effectively.
Also check out: What is Agroecology? Importance and Impact on Environment
I hope you all liked this post! Please comment below if you have any suggestions, comments, or feedback! We at #envpk love hearing from our readers! Thanks!