The makeup industry is a huge business that makes billions of dollars annually and the news experts say this business will keep on rising.
The makeup industry is also highlighted as the cosmetic industry. It includes all products related to cosmetics. The makeup industry is defined as an industry that makes cosmetic products. These products are later distributed at the national or international level.
NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF MAKEUP INDUSTRY ON THE ENVIRONMENT
The fashion industry has a strong association with the makeup industry. People tend to follow every ongoing trending fashion which includes different types of makeup products, launching new cosmetic products, etc. The production of cosmetic items contributes to environmental pollution.
CATEGORIES OF MAKEUP PRODUCTS
The makeup industry produces a variety of cosmetic products. The makeup industry includes everything relevant to skincare, haircare, toiletries, etc. The main categories with the example products are listed below.
- Skincare: Cleansers, Moisturizers
- Makeup: Eyeliner, Mascara, Foundation, Lipsticks
- Haircare: Hair colors, Conditioners, Shampoos
- Toiletries: Soaps, Cologne
TYPES OF POLLUTANTS RELEASED FROM THE MAKEUP INDUSTRY
The makeup industry is responsible for a wide variety of pollutants that are directly being released into the environment. The makeup industry causes air pollution, water pollution, and land pollution.
The common types of pollutants released from the makeup industry are toxic chemical air pollutants such as volatile organic compounds, water pollutants such as heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, and organic and inorganic compounds such as nitrates, phosphates, hydrocarbons, surfactants, and land pollution due to plastic waste.
SOURCES OF POLLUTANTS RELEASED FROM THE MAKEUP INDUSTRY
The sources of pollutants in the makeup industry include ingredients that are used in product production, packaging, and distribution.
The common sources of toxic chemicals include wastewater from salons product manufacturing industries, plastic generation from packaging, fumes from hair sprays, particulates from skincare products, makeup brushes, etc.
EFFECTS OF MAKEUP INDUSTRY ON THE ENVIRONMENT
There is published research that has reported environmental contamination due to the cosmetic industry. The negative effects of the makeup industry on the environment are listed below.
1. Carbon Footprint: The makeup industry has a significant contribution to the carbon footprint. The release of greenhouse gases, fossil fuel combustion, plastic packing
2. Air Pollution: Makeup products are a source of urban air pollution. The volatile organic compounds from skincare products are being released into the air which also participates in ozone depletion.
3. Water Pollution: The wastewater of makeup products includes heavy metals, inorganic and organic compounds such as fats. It is damaging water quality and causing nutrient pollution. Nutrients are phosphorous and nitrogen.
4. Land Pollution: The end products of the cosmetic industry such as plastic debris, expired makeup products, makeup brushes, etc are causing land pollution.
5. Marine Pollution: The untreated wastewater from salons is making its way to water bodies such as streams, lakes, rivers, and oceans.
7. Plastic Waste: The packaging of cosmetic products produces huge quantities of plastic waste that poses serious threats to biodiversity leading to suffocation and death of species.
Cosmetics have negative impacts on humans as well leading to skin cancer, skin allergies, acne, etc.
SOLUTIONS TO NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF MAKEUP INDUSTRY ON THE ENVIRONMENT
The possible solutions to the negative impacts of the makeup industry are listed below.
1. Recycling: Don’t throw bottles, jars, and other empty items rather recycle and reuse discarded items for other sustainable purposes.
2. Natural Ingredients: Natural ingredients should be preferred over synthetic chemicals.
3. Sustainable Products: The cosmetic products should be sustainable and there are products that contain 100% natural ingredients.
4. Renewable Energy: Electricity production should be through renewable energy sources to lessen the negative impacts of electricity produced through fossil fuel combustion.
5. Reusable Plastics: The cosmetic brands should promote resealable plastic packaging and encourage refilling.
There is continuously growing competition among cosmetic brands. With each passing day, new makeup items with superior qualities are being introduced all around the world. The craze for makeup is somehow out of control now. Huge masses are following trends. People want to look glamorous anytime, anywhere on the Earth. It’s becoming part of the natural routine but we must act eco-friendly in order to reduce the impacts of the cosmetic industry on the environment.
Also, check out Urban Heat Islands – Causes, Effects, and Solutions
I hope you all liked this post! Please comment below if you have any suggestions, comments, or feedback! We at #envpk love hearing from our readers! Thanks!
– MS Environmental Science
– Content Writer
Researcher, Nature Lover, and Environmentalist