Every Pakistani is well aware of the phenomenon of smog by now, especially the residents of the city of Lahore. India, China, Pakistan Top World’s Worst Air Quality Charts. Smog has become a regular annual episode now, but majority of the people still have no idea how to protect themselves against smog. With the levels of smog in the city at “hazardous” it is imperative that the residents of once the city of fresh air and gardens learn to live with the ever-increasing air pollution.Everyone is having respiratory issues or flu nowadays, all thanks to smog. You might want to read more about how Lahore Smog is Killing Us -Harmful Impacts of Smog On Humans.
So below are some of the tips to keep yourself healthy during these tough times.
- Check air quality of your area daily to get an idea about how to best manage your day in order to stay healthy.
- Do not go out unnecessary if the level of smog in your area is high.
- Do not go for walk or jog outside, it will do more harm to your health overall than not going for a walk/jog.
- Do not exercise outside.
- Do not let your kids play or elderly sit outside the home – not even in the park.
- Close all windows of your house, it will help keep some of that air pollution out.
- Wear mask if going out is necessary and don’t take off your mask till you are indoors again.
- Use an air purifier indoors (if you can afford it).
- Grow air purifying indoor and outdoors plants around your house as they improve indoor air quality by removing pollutants from the air. According to NASA’s Clean Air Study, some plants not only absorb CO2 and release O2, but they also remove certain VOCs like benzene, formaldehyde, xylene and trichloroethylene. Some common plants according to that prove useful in controlling indoor air pollution are as follow:
- English ivy
- Spider plant
- Peace lily
- Chinese evergreen
- Bamboo palm
- Lacy tree philodendron
- Elephant ear philodendron
- Red-edged dracaena, marginata
- Mass cane/corn cane
- Weeping fig
- Barberton daisy
- Florist’s chrysanthemum
- Aloe vera
For more detail, read: 10 Indoor Plants For Improving Indoor Air Quality At Home.
We really hope this list of things to keep yourself safe from the adverse effects of smog will prove to be useful for you. Take care of yourself and your loved ones!
Also check out: Impacts of Transboundary Pollution on Pakistan
I hope you all liked this post! Please comment below if you have any suggestions, comments, or feedback! We at #envpk love hearing from our readers! Thanks!