Our environment needs gardens. Gardens can serve us better than lawns.
Check out: 10 Plants That You Can Grow In Water At Home
WHAT ARE LAWNS?
Lawns are similar to plain open areas that have soil covered with grasses. In houses, the open area is planted with grasses and short heightened plants and moved with a lawnmower at regular intervals.
HISTORY OF LAWNS
The history of lawns originates from England and France. Lawns are remaining bits of French nobility that dated back to the 1700 century.
PURPOSE OF LAWNS
What could be the possible purpose of lawns? Interestingly lawns have no purpose at all. In past, it represented status or French aristocracy. Nowadays people prioritize lawns over gardens only because of recreational activities such as sports, fun games, etc. This is nothing but wasting a good piece of land. Regardless, they can go to public recreational parks for fun activities.
For more info: Biodiversity Management Methods, Techniques And Importance
WHAT ARE GARDENS?
Gardens are defined as pieces of land outside homes where flowers, fruits, and vegetables are cultivated. The open spaces in the garden area are often covered with shrubs.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GARDENS AND LAWNS
The key differences between lawns and gardens are mentioned in the table below.
|Gardens have positive impacts on the environment.||Lawns have negative impacts on the environment.|
|Vegetables, Fruits, and Flowers are cultivated in gardens.||Only small grasses are planted in lawns|
|Multiple species of plants are grown in gardens.||All kinds of shrubs are removed in lawns and only grasses are maintained.|
Also check out: Measurement of Species Biodiversity – Methods and Techniques
NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF LAWNS ON THE ENVIRONMENT
Lawns don’t have a good impact on the environment. How badly they affect the environment are discussed below.
1. Pesticide Application: Pesticides are used for weed control in the management of lawns. These pesticide sprays are a source of air contamination and result in loss of biodiversity.
2. Resource Waste: A natural resource such as water is used for watering grass in lawns. A considerable amount of water gets wasted for this baseless purpose.
3. Noise Pollution: The maintenance of lawns with lawnmowers creates noise pollution. Noise pollution has negative impacts on the surrounding environment and humans.
4. Carbon Emission from Lawnmower: The lawnmower is also contributing to increasing emissions of carbon in the atmosphere that could lead to global warming.
Check out: Biodiversity Loss – Causes, Effects, and Solutions
BENEFITS AND IMPORTANCE OF GARDENS
The benefits and importance of gardens are described below.
1. Aesthetic Natural Beauty: Gardens represent the natural beauty of the planet and are extremely important for aesthetic beauty.
2. Kitchen Garden: One can have access to free herbs, fruit, or vegetables being cultivated in the garden. Easy access to healthy and organic food is possible with gardens.
3. Carbon Sink: The greatest benefit of the garden is it acts as a carbon sink. Trees release oxygen and store carbon from the atmosphere.
4. Pollination: Gardens play an important role in pollination. The fruits, flowers, and vegetation provide nectar to pollinators.
Also Check Out: 10 Reason of Why Butterflies are Dying and How We Can Save Them
COMPARISON OF LAWNS AND GARDENS
If we make a comparison between gardens and lawns, we can conclude that maintenance of lawns requires money and time. Lawns require fertilizers, pesticides for weed control while the natural regenerative process is suitable for gardens. Gardens can provide free food without chemical contamination while lawns need chemicals for aesthetic beauty. Turning land areas to lawns would negatively impact the population of pollinators. Read Pollinator Decline of Bees – Causes, Effects and Solutions
The environmental issues due to human activities are causing many problems for all living organisms. The increasing air pollution due to carbon emissions is contributing to the rising temperature of the Earth’s surface. The trees and vegetation are carbon sinks that store carbon and could help reduce air pollution. More people should give priority to gardens over lawns. The gardens have many purposes that could positively benefit the environment and humans but lawns require money, time, and effort.
Also check out: Rooftop Vegetation and Vertical Gardening – Solution to Self-Sustenance
I hope you all liked this post! Please comment below if you have any suggestions, comments, or feedback! We at #envpk love hearing from our readers! Thanks!
For feedback or queries, email at firstname.lastname@example.org